Jun 07, 2018
Enjoy the Outdoors with Fido From Pet Friendly Hotels in Kelowna
Whether it's on the streets, on designated beaches, hiking trails, parks, people and their pets are everywhere you look in the Okanagan city of Kelowna. Not only is the city known to be pet friendly, there a number of pet-friendly hotels in Kelowna that welcome not only dogs, but cats, so there's no reason to leave Fido, or Fifi, at home.
Here are some ways you can enjoy the outdoors with your four-legged friends:
Wag a Tail to the Trail
There are a number of hiking trails near Kelowna pet friendly hotels that have on-leash trails. You and your pet can enjoy beautiful wooded single tracks, open grassland paths, and moderate climbs with spectacular viewpoints.
- Mission Park Greenway, which has a 16-kilometre running, walking and biking trail along Mission Creek that cuts through the city.
- Paul's Tomb and Apex Trail at Knox Mountain, which feature moderate hikes located close to the city centre. Bring a picnic and your camera to capture the incredible views of the city and valley below.
- Kuiper's Peak Mountain Park in the Southwest Mission area of Kelowna is a moderate four-kilometre hike that gives you a panoramic view of Kelowna and Okanagan Lake.
- Scenic Canyon Falls Regional Parks, near Myra Bellevue Provincial Park, offers geological formations and cultural sites, including rock ovens that were used by Chinese labourers who helped build the Kettle Valley Railway.
Bring Buddy to the Beach
Don't deny you and your pet some time at Kelowna's beautiful beaches. There are a number that are open to dogs. Throw a Frisbee or ball and enjoy a stroll along the waterfront. Remember to take a leash and a waste disposal bag, as well as some water and snacks for both you and your pet.
- City Park on Okanagan Lake in the heart of the city has a long sandy beach, waterpark, playground, lawn bowling club, soccer field, skatepark and volleyball and basketball courts. The walking path is for on-leash dogs only.
- Sutherland Bay Park features a beach, playground, washroom and on- and off-leash areas for your pet.
- Kerry Park, just north of City Park, offers a beach area and on- and off-leash area.
- Cedar Creek Park, off Lakeshore Road in the Mission area of Kelowna, has a boat launch, swimming area and off-leash trails for dogs.
- Lake Avenue Beach Access, south of City Park and the Bill Bennett Bridge, is a new dog beach set up for a two-year trial ending in September 2019. It features a trail and off-leash area.
Parks Just for Fido
Located adjacent to Kelowna hotels close to the airport on either side of Highway 97, Ellison Dog Park, located on Old Vernon Road, and North Glenmore Dog Park, on Glenmore Road, offer large areas with trails and wide-open spaces where your dog can run to his or her heart's content off leash.
The Comfort Suites Kelowna is one of the top-rated Kelowna hotels TripAdvisor recommends for dog friendly hotels in the Okanagan. We also welcome cats and offer a range of suites on our ground floor to make it easier for guests and their pets to go outside. All of our four-legged guests, and their owners, receive a welcome bag with treats, waste disposal bags, and a guide to local dog parks.